Friday, August 07, 2015

My Modified KimmayTube Leave In

With my foray into a more pH balanced hair regimen, I have picked up the infamous KimmayTube leave in. I was excited to try it out and made up a batch using the original recipe and aloe vera juice instead of gel. I'm already using the juice for something else and didn't want to buy a separate container of gel. I also subbed both the oils for extra virgin olive oil as that is what I had on hand. The original recipe is as follows:
  • 2 tbsp. Conditioner
  • 2 tbsp. Aloe Vera Gel (or juice)
  • 2 tbsp. Castor Oil
  • 2 tbsp. Jojoba Oil
The recipe as is makes 4oz of leave in and is comprised of roughly half oil/half moisturizer. This mix did not get along with my hair. The second I applied it I began to feel as though my soaking-wet-still-in-the-shower hair was beginning to dry up. I felt my hair was poofy when it dried and the mixture had too much oil. This leave in had one more try or it'd have to be cut so I gave this recipe a shot:
  • 2 tbsp. Conditioner
  • 2 tbsp. Aloe Vera Juice/Gel
  • 2 tbsp. EVOO
Yes! This was the ticket. This new recipe produces 3oz which I used up completely on wash day and is more moisture than oil. It did not make my hair feel dry or oily, nor did my hair poof up upon drying. I will move forward using this mix and see what happens as my conditioners change and I pair it with different gels. I so wanted to use this recipe because it saves conditioner which in turn saves me money!

Did the original leave-in work out for you? Comment below! 

If you like what you've read, never miss a post by following this blog with Bloglovin'. Also, watch my videos on Youtube. NEW uploads weekly!

No comments:

ShareThis