Friday, May 14, 2010

How to Tell If Your Hair Product Has Expired

The other day, I was looking at a bottle of Vo5 conditioner that my dad had given me. He had gotten it for free Lord knows how long ago! When he was living, he was a dietitian and for some reason "dietitian" = "free stuff".

I was looking for the expiration or sell by date on this conditioner and I saw none. Then, I looked for the logo of the little open jar with the months that the product is good for printed on it. Yet again, I found nothing.

Believe it or not, beauty products expire.

I know my mom doesn't believe it...which would explain some of  her 10 year old lipsticks. So, I found myself asking this question: "How do you know if a product has expired if there is no date to find out the easy way?" Here's my test, that may or may not be without fail: 


1. SNIFF IT!

   Give the product a whiff. If it smells ripe or moldy, give it a toss. 


2. CHECK THE CONSISTENCY!

   You know how milk gets chunky when it spoils? Same concept here. If your product is lumpy or runny in comparison to its usual consistency, dump it!

3. CHECK FOR SIGNS OF LIFE!

   If there are green, blue, black, yellow, white, or whatever colored spores growing in your product, chuck it!

Again, this isn't the most certain way of determining if a product has expired, but if this is all you've got, by all means do these three steps!

  KAYLA

No comments:

ShareThis