Friday, February 11, 2011

What I Learned About Natural Hair in Kindergarten

I am an elementary education major and I am currently assigned to a kindergarten class. I won't deny that I have been looking at their hair and I've learned a few things.

What I Learned About Natural Hair in Kindergarten

SOMETIMES 'BAD HAIR' IS JUST 'DRY/MISTREATED HAIR'
One of the little girls has the driest, most combed out hair imaginable. I'm sure with a little moisturizer, staying away from the comb, and some type of set--bantus or braids--her hair could be wonderful!


RELAXERS AREN'T FOR KIDS
Now, I'm not anti-relaxer, but I will say that I DID NOT have a relaxer until I was in my teens. My mom was actually scared, and with reason! One child showed me a HUGE chemical burn on her forehead from a relaxer gone wrong. I don't like the idea of a kindergarten relaxer, but if you must relax, know what you are doing or get it done at a salon.

I've also noticed that the natural girls have the longest hair in the class. *shrugs*

GEL? WHAT IS THAT?
When I was little I had no idea what gel was. One of the little girls has gel all over her hair and it is breaking like crazy. I wonder what kind of gel mommy is using and if the application is rough.


LOW MANIPULATION IS KEY
These girls get a new hairstyle each Monday, but in between it's straight sleep and wear. 

I should be paying more attention in class, but sometimes I really do get bored during the phonics portion. Letter sounds aren't even classified as review for me.

  KAYLA

No comments:

ShareThis