Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Where Weave Really Comes From

I used to think that hair weave came from women nice enough to donate or sell their hair to weave companies. Well, I was sooooo off.

Weave actually comes off the floor of Indian temples where women get their hair shaved off as a sacrifice of their beauty. These women probably have no idea that their hair will be worn by black women all over. They probably think the temple burns their hair or something. Heck, I thought the money from the collection plate was burned as an offering when I was a little girl.

I found a video on the hair harvesting process on youtube.




BTW: I do NOT agree with the religious opinions of the maker of this video. I think we all worship the same God just with different names and in different ways. Religion is like a mass game of telephone. It starts off one way, but by the time its retold so many times it becomes distorted from the original source.

  KAYLA

3 comments:

FrannyG said...

Hi Kayla! I followed your link from the guestbook on my website, and I am really enjoying your blog. I also use the Oil Cleansing Method, by the way.

I have read and seen video of the sacrificed hair. I was fascinated by it, and like you wonder what the women think happens to their hair.

I really like the BTW that you wrote.

FrannyG said...

I forgot to say that I'm looking forward to your progress to fully natural for 2012!!!

Kayla said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair" interviewed some women outside a temple in India and it hurt my heart when the woman said "God loves the hair". She clearly had nooooo idea what happens to the hair of her fellow countrywomen.

ShareThis